Wisdom tooth extraction costs.
The fee will be based on the tooth's classification.
In general, a dentist will base the fee they charge for performing a wisdom tooth extraction on factors such as its expected level of difficulty and amount of time it will take to complete the procedure.
For the most part, these factors vary in accordance with the tooth's positioning in the jaw (erupted vs. non-erupted & impacted). For this reason, fees are typically quoted using the following classifications.
A) Wisdom tooth extraction - Soft tissue impaction.1
$225.00 - $400.00
Low fee = Small rural city or town.
High fee = Large metropolitan area.
How did we come up with this estimate?
1) A "soft tissue" impaction is one where at least some portion of the patient's gums still lie over the wisdom tooth (the tooth is "partially erupted," see animation below).
Full-bony, partial-bony and soft-tissue impactions.
B) Wisdom tooth extraction - Partial bony impaction.2
$275.00 - $450.00
2) A "partial bony" impaction is one where at least some aspect of the crown portion of the tooth (the part intended to lie above the gum line) is still encased in the jawbone.
In brief, the removal of the tooth will involve making an incision in the overlying gum tissue so to gain access to the tooth and surrounding bone tissue, the removal of some bone from around the tooth, the removal of the tooth, and repositioning and suturing the reflected gums back into place.
C) Wisdom tooth extraction - Full bony impaction.3
$325.00 - $500.00
3) A "full bony" impaction is one where the wisdom tooth is totally encased in the jawbone.
During the extraction process, an incision will be made in the gum tissue in the region of the impacted tooth. Some overlying bone tissue will be trimmed away. The tooth will often need to be sectioned (cut into pieces) before it can be removed. The gum tissue will then be repositioned and sutured back into place.
X-ray of the surgical site following a "simple" (fully erupted tooth) extraction.
D) Simple wisdom tooth extraction (non-surgical).4
$100.00 - $200.00
4) Not all wisdom teeth pose a significant obstacle to removal. Those wisdom teeth that have erupted fully and have a normal positioning can be as straightforward to extract as any other tooth. If so, the cost for removing them should be in line with that charged for other routine tooth extractions (termed "simple" extractions).
More information about routine extraction costs.
Costs for sedation services.
In those cases where the patient opts for the administration of some type of sedation during their extraction process, additional costs will be involved.
Administration of nitrous oxide (laughing gas).
$40.00 - $90.00
Administration of intravenous (conscious) sedation.
$250.00 - $400.00
You should not have to pay any additional fee for you dentist to "numb up" your tooth using a local anesthetic ("Novocaine"). This should already be included in the price of the tooth's extraction. The items above refer to additional medications that may be opted for, primarily as a means of patient management and/or helping the patient to better cope with the extraction process.
A consultation will probably be necessary.
Due to the great amount of variability that the process of extracting a wisdom tooth can pose, you're unlikely to find any dentist who will quote a fee for your procedure without having an opportunity to examine you first.
This exam will need to include taking dental x-rays, and these can add to its cost. But these are items that you will need no matter who performs your work.
After you've had your consultation, if you decide not to have your treatment performed at that office, or if you simply choose to get a second opinion, you can request that your x-rays be forwarded to another dentist.
Continue reading -
- What are wisdom teeth? / Impaction types.
- Reasons to extract.
- Reasons not to extract.
- Procedure - Difficulty / Sedation / Aftercare.
- Post-surgical complications.
- Extraction costs - by impaction type. ◀
- FYI facts about getting your wisdom teeth out.
Related pages -